Friday, August 11, 2017

A Brand New Start

Here's the centerpiece for the new medallion quilt I'll be attempting. I had to draw my own block as all the patterns available around here would end up with me having to make ridiculously small hst's. Not happening! This centerpiece finishes at 14 1/2"? Something like that.
Hst Medallion
If my math is correct, then all the hst's should end up finishing out at 1 3/4". That's doable--barely! I'm changing up the colors just a bit. In the antique quilt shown below, {found in one of my old Quilt Guild yardsale finds}, there are only four colors used throughout. I'm planning on using five or six, mixing it up every other hst row. We'll see. The whole idea could crash and burn any day!
Antique quilt using for inspiration
I decided to really push myself and use white instead of cream, my favorite background color. You have no idea how hard that was, coming to that decision. There's just something about cream that feels safe. Everything looks cozier with cream, right? lol  The whites in the stack of fabric I've gathered all have a tint of gray to them too, which could end up making the quilt look really cold and impersonal. Gonna fight that really hard with these pinks and cheddars!

I've been thinking and thinking, still no brilliant ideas for the wordy quilt proposed over at Anne's. I do have a couple stacks of fabrics percolating on my counters that most definitely have some improv. leanings. After our upcoming madhouse of a weekend is over, maybe I'll just play einy-meiny-mieny-mo, grab one and get going. Eventually, if there's a chance for words on the quilt, they can just come to me en route...

19 comments:

  1. PURDY! Really, very fun start...I can see a whole quilt out of just your lovely center block!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fun start, Audrey. The inspiration quilt in the photograph really vibrates. It also draws my eye to center, as though descending steps. I'm looking forward to seeing your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well that is a fun looking quilt - are you going to do straight square design or sides uneven like this one is

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like this medallion idea--hst's scare the be**** out of me!! I finally got an accuquilt die to cut them out for me...will be looking forward to seeing how this progresses...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun start. That is an ambitious number of hst. I like the white, it's so crisp and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll definitely be an expert with half square triangles when you're done. Your inspiration quilt has a very modern graphic look. I wonder what the original quilter was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an interesting start. I have seen a similar quilt from Sarah Fielke (it is in the book "old quilts, new life") but that one has more colors. Quite a challenge I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness! What a lot of work the maker of the quilt did. Are you doing something similar or adding your own touches?

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I thought that I was the Crazy Lady! Wow! That's a ton of tiny HSTs - it's going to be spectacular. Love your centre block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this start and the inspiration a lot! I find white a bit scary too so I'll be watching with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I've seen your inspiration photo somewhere before. I'm very interested to see how you interpret this. Of course, I love the pink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are off to a great start, love the colours you are using! I don't know how far I'd actually get making a version of this, probably only to round three!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome inspiration quilt! I think I would get too bored making this one...too many of the same hsts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You definitely challenge yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, definitely a challenge - but a beautiful inspiration quilt! I very rarely use white in a quilt, like you cream is my choice over white.

    ReplyDelete
  16. your HSTs are still pretty tiny to me this is going to make a lovely centre medallion block.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loads and loads of tiny hst's - my favorite!! This is going to be a great project :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love getting comments and always try to respond via email. Please leave an email in the comment to ensure a return reply! {Many of you are popping up as Anonymous for some reason, so I have no idea who it is.} Regardless, I appreciate all the comments and read every single one.